10 Things You Didn’t Know About Malia Obama
Malia Obama has grown from a child into a young lady before the eyes of the American people. It seems the constant scrutiny has not done her any harm. She is mature and poised.
For those of you who want to know more about this charismatic daughter of President Barack Obama, here are the top ten things you might not have known, or perhaps forgotten, about Malia Obama.
1. Malia was born on July 4, 1998, making her an Independence Day baby. The irony that her father would become the first African-American in the White House has not been lost.
2. Barack and Michelle gave her the middle name of “Ann.” They also had their friend, Dr. Anita Blanchard, deliver her, and sister Sasha, at the prestigious University of Chicago Medical Center.
3. Malia may not be as famous as her father, but she has some credits to her reputation. In 2014, Time magazine chose Malia as one of the 25 most influential teens of the year.
4. She is an active young lady. For years, Malia has enjoyed playing soccer. She is also known for being a good dancer. Last, her passion for drama, of the activating variety, is also noted.
5. Malia has responsibilities in the White House. Despite having a wait staff, the First Daughter must complete her own chores. She has to make her own bed before receiving a weekly allowance. At one point, the allowance was a mere $1. It is safe to assume that Malia gets a little more than that now.
6. When it was time for the Obamas to choose the family pet for the White House, there was much consternation. Malia, it seems, has allergies to animal dander. Since people expect presidents to have a dog, there was a debate about what to do. Unwilling to break with tradition, the Obamas chose a Portuguese water dog, named Bo. This breed is known for being hypoallergenic.
7. Apparently, Malia does not want to follow in the footsteps of her mother and father, by going into the legal profession. Instead, she aspires to be a filmmaker. To this end, Malia worked as a summer production assistant on the Halle Berry sci-fi series, “Extant.”
8. She has been the beneficiary of an outstanding education. In Chicago, Malia attended the University of Chicago Laboratory School. Once her father entered the White House, Malia matriculated at the prestigious Sidwell Friends School.
9. Malia has plans to attend college. She has already been on a tour of campuses, having been seen at Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Brown, and Tufts.
At Brown University, students, excited about the presence of the First Daughter, took pictures of her standing unaware near a “beer bong,” leading school officials to apologize for the privacy violation.
10. The Secret Service was correct in giving her the codename “Radiance.” Enough said as she is definitely most radiant.
What’s next for Malia Obama?
With so much going for her, one has to wonder whether Malia will enter politics. Or, perhaps she will decide to produce politically-charged films. Regardless of what she does, the First Daughter has proven herself a strong person, able to handle the pressures of a high-profile position.